Questions for the Zen Community,
I am very excited about the partnership with IOHK and the aggressive roadmap set out for 2018.
Specifically, @finpunk’s mention in the last bi-weekly Livestream of exploring DAG type alternative architectures for distributed consensus systems that can scale economically and ecologically without sacrificing (and ideally improving) security and fairness grabbed my attention. I’ve been doing my best to educate myself on Hashgraph, in particular, for the past few months.
I’m curious about other’s perspectives on how a shift from blockchain to DAG might be executed, and how shifting to a DAG system (like Hashgraph perhaps?) might change the shape and qualities of the Zen ecosystem?
**Note - most of these questions were sparked based on my current understanding of Hashgraph, but if there are other DAG architectures that anyone would recommend learning about, I’m all ears.
- Would the role of “mining” be reduced/eliminated?
- What would be the role(s), if any, of secure nodes, if any user with a smartphone can effectively act as their own node?
- How would coin emission work for a not-yet-mature cryptocurrency operating on top of a Hashgraph like consensus layer?
- Would/could ZenCash still be a blockchain based cryptocurrency that functions on top of a DAG based consensus algorithm?
- …and what else am I missing? (If I’m buying too much into Hashgraph hype I’m open to hearing why)
I’m not a dev or a coder, just a member of the Zen Community that is very excited to begin shifting my own businesses and economic life onto platforms like ZenCash, OpenBazaar and SwarmCity. I’m sure I’m making all kinds of gross oversights with my questions, and am hoping that in asking them I’ll not only get pointed towards constructive answers but also create an accessible dialogue for others like myself to learn from - basically non-technical but idealogically aligned users.
Also very excited about the mention of possible ZenCash integration with a platform like OpenBazaar in the 2018 Roadmap. I’m hopeful that the more we knit truly decentralized platforms together (ZenCash with OpenBazaar with SwarmCity etc.) the more powerful and transformative the decentralization tidal wave can be!
Thank you in advance for any insight and discussion - if this is not the appropriate place to post this I can move it to Facebook (didn’t find a whole lot of active discussion there, so thought I’d try here)
In Peace, Freedom and Prosperity